Vietnam Immigration News

Questions and Answers

1. What should I do when my husband enters Vietnam on a visa exemption certificate but the duration of temporary residence is about to expire, at the moment, the local Immigration Office where I live is closed due to the Covid-19 situation?

Kindly be advised that you prepare the following documents: 01 NA5 form (promulgated together with Circular 04/2015/TT-BCA), a passport or other international travel documents; documents proving the relationship with the sponsor and submit the above-mentioned documents to the local Immigration Office where you live when it reopens. In case, the local Immigration Office reopens later than the expiry date of the temporary residence duration, please contact the phone number of Vietnam Immigration Department (0243.938.7320) for assistance.

2. Is the policy of automatic visa extension for foreigners entering Vietnam on tourist visa valid after August?

Foreigners entering Vietnam on tourist visas, e-visas or on visa exemption certificates after March 1st, 2020 are entitled to automatic stay extension until September 30th, 2020 without having to apply for visa extension. For those who entered Vietnam before March 1st , 2020, the same automatic visa extension can be considered  subject to provision of proof that the person was stranded in Vietnam due to COVID-19, accompanied by a diplomatic Note (with Vietnamese translation) from the relevant diplomatic mission, or a written document from the relevant Vietnamese authorities confirming that the person was required to undergo mandatory quarantine or treatment for COVID-19, or advice of other force majeure, The concerned person is required to present the said diplomatic Note or written document on departure from Vietnam.

During the period of automatic stay extension, foreigners must declare their temporary residence and health status according to regulations. For other arising issues, please contact the diplomatic missions of  your country or Immigration Department (tel: 0243.938.7320) for assistance.

3. When will overseas Vietnamese citizens be allowed to enter Vietnam in the coming time?

The Government of  Vietnam will decide the resumption of commercial flights in the context of Covid-19 pandemic and the contact point for this matter is the Ministry of Transport of Vietnam.

The National Committee for the Prevention and Control of Covid-19 of Vietnam will decide on the time to open border gates to welcome visitors traveling to Vietnam for private purposes or tourism. Up to now, there are not any directives to allow foreign visitors traveling to Vietnam for Covid-19 prevention.

4. My husband is foreigner who has the visa exemption certificate. If my husband wants to return to Vietnam now, is he allowed to enter? 

 Under the direction of  Prime Minister of  Vietnam, Vietnam temporarily suspends entry of all visa exemption certificate holders due to the Covid-19 epidemic.

5. In case, my relative residing overseas still has his or her current Vietnamese nationality  and is  no longer allowed to reside abroad , what should be done to return home ? 

Because your relative is a Vietnamese overseas and still has Vietnamese nationality. Therefore, your relative need to go to Vietnam diplomatic missions abroad (Vietnam Embassy where your relative is residing) to apply for a Vietnamese passport. After that, your relative can use his or her passport to enter Vietnam. After returning home, your relative need to go to the District Police where he or she can carry out permanent residence registration according to regulations.

6. Currently I am stranded in a foreign country and want to return home, what procedures do I need to do?

According to the provisions of Articles 33 and 34 of the Law on exit and entry of Vietnamese citizens, Vietnamese citizens are allowed to leave or enter the country when they have valid passports or travel documents, visas for foreign countries and  not subject to either cases of exit prohibition or exit suspension.

Currently, due to the context of Covid-19 epidemic in the world, countries have been suspending commercial flights. Therefore, if  Vietnamese citizens want to return to the country, they are requested to contact the overseas Vietnamese diplomatic missions and the Consular Department - Ministry of Foreign Affairs to register their return on rescue flights. 

7. My staff has both Vietnamese and Australian nationality. At the beginning of August, he entered Vietnam with an Australian passport . If he stays in Vietnam to work until the end of the year, will he be allowed to stay in Vietnam as a Vietnamese citizen (he brings with himself his Vietnamese ID card and passport) or must extend his stay for an Australian passport? 

Under the provisions of the Law on foreigners’ entry into, exit from, transit through, and residence in Vietnam (Clause 4, Article 4): “Foreigners with multiple passports are only allowed to use one passport for entry into, exit from, transit through, and reside in Vietnam ”. Therefore, this foreigner who entered Vietnam on the Australian passport must extend temporary residence or apply for a visa according to regulations; he is not allowed  to use a Vietnamese passport to reside as a Vietnamese citizen.

8. My husband's visa will expire on around  January 5, 2021. Now I want to apply for a temporary residence card, what should I do? Furthermore, is that possible to apply  for another visa exemption certificate now?

According to Decision No. 5551/ QD-BCA-V19 on the Promulgation of Administrative Procedures under the authorization of the Ministry of Public Security, the applications for temporary residence cards includes: a written request for temporary residence card (NA7 form for individuals); application form for temporary residence card for foreigners (NA8); papers proving the relationship with the sponsor; passport or international travel document of the foreigner; 02 (2x3) photos (01 photo glued to the application form, 01 separate photo) and submit the documents to the Immigration Department.

Regarding the issuance of  a visa exemption certificate, if a foreigner is approved for a temporary residence card, they are allowed to reside in Vietnam until the temporary residence card expires, so a new visa exemption certificate is not necessary.

Lan Hương